Sunday, October 28, 2012

Thoughts

     Thoughts. Racing, lingering, stirring, awakening. Thoughts carry the potential to provoke one to obtain a deeper understanding of matters, can introduce sin, disaccord and confusion, and if guided correctly will drive one to take action based on convictions. Thinking holds the potential to cultivate tremendous growth and change, but if thoughts merely remain entangled in the recesses of one's mind rather than being acted upon, they are all together worthless.  The same can be said for beliefs, knowledge, convictions and desires. To believe, know, and desire something and to live out a life derived from those core values are two contrasting realities.  That being said, my heart and mind have been overflowing as of late.

      My heart's most desperate longing is to walk life hand in hand with Jesus Christ and truly know and love God with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength and love each person I come into contact with the same love He has shown me. To daily die to myself and have lungs filled with the breath of His life. To live a life free of sin, legalism, selfishness, opinions of others, titles, and pride.  2 Corinthians 5:14-15 says,

 "For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised."

      Is Christ's love truly controlling my every thought, word, action?  Am I living for myself or am I living a life that is under complete, radical submission to the love and will of Jesus Christ? Although that is my heart's cry, so many times I've fallen tragically short of this calling.  I somehow lose sight of why I'm still here on planet earth.  I become distracted, ensnared, unfocused and before I realize it, I somehow lose focus on the only true meaning of life. I so oft forget that nothing on this earth matters except my personal relationship with Christ and precious human souls.  These things are eternal; all else will burn. When reminded of that, life becomes drastically more simple. Life is so incredibly short.  Ephesians 5:15-17 says,

 "Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise,  making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. "

  This knowledge and awareness, these desires, they are good and right.  Although thoughts and desires are good, they are of no significance if fruit is not born as a result. My challenge to myself as well as those reading this blog is to examine your life, but don't stop at that.  Are your pastimes, habits, relationships, conversations and attitudes pushing you closer or further from Christ?  Are you willing to sacrifice idols that have stepped between you and Him? Remember the shortness of your days.  Allow Christ's love to daily control your actions, thoughts, mindset, words.  Life is too short to be controlled by anything other than the redemptive, unconditional, radical, passionate love of Jesus Christ.  May our lives be more than a flicker.

"What is the secret to great living? Entire separation to Christ and devotion to Him. Thus speaks every man and woman whose life has made more than a passing flicker in the spiritual realm. It is the life that has no time for trifling that counts.”~Amy Carmichael


No comments:

Post a Comment