Sunday, December 25, 2011

Best Kind of Christmas

  Hello sweet friends :) Merry Christmas!!  I was sitting here with a few minutes to spare and just wanted to write down some thoughts about today.  


  The past couple weeks since break has started have been pretty crazy/hectic.  First, I had my teaching practicum which was wonderful, but I ended up catching a bad cold from one of the kiddos.  Right after I got better from my cold, my wisdom tooth became infected and I needed to go on antibiotics and also learned that I'll need to get both of them out before break is over.  During that time I've also been working about 40 hours a week.  My mom also works two jobs and has a busy schedule. Needless to say, there hasn't been to much time to do "Christmasy" things.


   My family definitely isn't one that would be categorized under "traditional".  We're not exactly the sit around the fire place singing Christmas carols, cutting out cookies type.  Now don't get me wrong, I think that some of the traditions of Christmas are wonderful, we keep a few little ones, but that just usually isn't usually my family.  I mean, we just got out un-decorated tree up on the 23rd, haha :)


  The older I get, the more I realize it's not the things or even traditions that matter in life.  The only things of real value in this life are our relationship with Jesus Christ and people.  With all of that being said, let me tell you about today and why is so great.


  Actually, I'll start at last night.  Christmas Eve.  I worked early in the day, but the evening was spent with Mom and my brother, Ben.  I made my awesome potato, ham & cheese soup (one of the few things I take pride in), then we went to the church my brother usually attends while he's home for their service.  It was so wonderful focusing on Jesus and His love and sacrifice.  After that, we drove around and looked at Christmas lights.  This morning,  my mom and I got our first round of FREE sheetz coffee then went to my home church :)  I love my church!!!  The theme of Pastor's message was the names of Jesus, so cool!  After that, my mom and I just talked for a long time about our sweet Jesus who He is and how He loves us, talks to us, intercedes for us.  The list goes on and on.  Amazed.  When we got home, we made our brunch that consisted of rolls, bacon and pineapple, YUM!


  Since then, we've just been hanging out, I've been playing guitar, wrapping a couple presents and listening to music.  I think we're going to watch a Christmas movie then open up a couple gifts later.  I love this.  I feel like this is what Christmas should be, focusing primarily on Jesus and His sacrificial birth and death, then just enjoying family and getting to a few presents whenever we do.  I know it's simple, but I think that's why I love it so much.


  I just wanted to write this to express how thankful I am for this day, Mom and Ben, and most importantly, the gift of Jesus Christ.  Merry Christmas and much love, friends.



Luke 2:8-20 "And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.  But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”  Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.” So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.  The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told."

No comments:

Post a Comment